Sunday, August 10, 2014

It's Good to be Here



 Looking back it's funny to think about the limits I put on what makes something good

 When I was little I liked the idea of keeping a diary.  I'd eye the fancy little books with blank pages, cushioned covers and tiny locks and think that I just had to have one. I just knew earth shattering thoughts and observations would flow from pen to page as I moved throughout my world. Eventually I'd convince my mother to purchase one and I'd rush home to write my deepest thoughts and revelations.    I'd go through each day waiting for something really GOOD to happen so that I could write about it.   Sometimes I get a few pages in - writing in spurts and spots until eventually the diary would be put aside while I waited for the good to arrive.

Fast forward and you'll find  that I'm an educator.  I'm an elementary librarian and have found that this job is not only good - it's amazing.  The idea of what's good comes up often in the library - my students want to know, "Where are the good books?" As educators we sometimes spend a lot of time thinking about what's good.  Is this lesson good enough?  Was it a good day?  Will this activity be good for my students?  We even limit what we believe is good. But, over time I've discovered that sometimes good creeps in quietly without fanfare, sometimes it's something small.   If we wait for the trumpets to announce it's arrival we'll miss the good that's already there.

So, this blog is my attempt to explore this whole idea of good.   It's a place to recognize that Good is out there - it's bigger than we think.  I want to take some time to appreciate the ways that good surrounds us everywhere, every day. 

It's a Good Start.  














No comments:

Post a Comment